Wednesday, September 12, 2007

London's First Day of Preschool!

London has been anxiously awaiting starting preschool for weeks. She received a letter and activity in the mail from her teacher a couple weeks ago and has asked everyday since then, "this day do I go to school?" So, finally last Monday I was able to tell her tomorrow you start school. That was a MISTAKE! I remember when I was a kid I could never sleep the night before school however, I didn't think that would be the case with a preschooler. I shouldn't have been shocked since London will use anything to get out of sleeping, but that night was a nightmare to get her to sleep. We have slowly been making progress with her and her sleeping, but I still sit outside her door until she falls asleep which then lasts until sometime in the middle of the night when she quietly sneeks in our room without waking us up and lays on the floor, she has learned not to wake us up since we send her back to her room (we still have a long way to go but for now I'm just so grateful that I am no longer getting up with her multiple times during the night). Anyway, so I was sitting outside her door waiting for her to fall asleep and all she could do was talk about preschool and what she was going to learn and "what is my teacher's name again?" and "who is going to my school with me?" and "is sissy coming with me?" at which I replied "no, she is too little" and she assured me it would be okay to send Kennedy because she would, "look after her". So, finally after about two hours of questions (the last hour of which I ignored) she finally went to sleep, only to wake up multiple times in the night each time with a new question about school. Midnight: "Are you staying at school with me?" 2:00 am: "Who's taking me to preschool?" 4:00 am: "Is it time for school?" (anyway, you get the picture).




Once she was in bed I was the typical first time school mom, I picked out a cute little sun dress and made sure it was washed and ironed and set all her clothes out. So, I wake her up (she is not an early riser especially after the restless night she had) and inform her it is time to get ready for school. I have daddy get her breakfast with cereal and toast and juice so she won't get hungry while at school. Then, it is time to get dressed. I tell her I set her clothes out in her room and to go get dressed. She goes to her room and comes back with a disgusted look on her face and says, "That's not what I'm wearing to school, I want to wear my brown polkadot dress". After trying to convince her that the dress I picked out was much nicer I finally caved and went to her closet and pulled out a brown dress she has with little dots on it. She says, "No, not that one, my new school one with the blue and brown dots on it, come her and I'll show you". So, she takes me to her closet and points out a new outfit that I had bought her back in July for fall, it is really cute, but not quite in season. I tell this story so you know that I do not try to abuse my child by sending her to school during 90 degree weather in long sleeves, but those of you who are moms just know that sometimes it is not worth the fight. There was no convincing her that she would be too hot or that she could wear that next week, she had decided probably weeks ago that that was what she was wearing for her first day of school and no one was going to convince her otherwise.




So, finally after all of that, it was time for school. Daddy, mommy and Kennedy all took her and dropped her off. She didn't even look back. It was a hard day for me to see my little girl looking so grown up and Kennedy missed her and kept asking, "where's nondon?", but overall we are just so proud of what a big girl she is.



Luckily, the next day I did convince her to wear the cute dress I had picked out. However, being the observer she is she said she needed a jacket because some of the kids at school took jackets (probably kids whose parents dress them appropriately for the weather). She said, "there is one big girl in my class who could do her zipper on her jacket all by herself so I think I can do mine too". So, I gave her a cute pink jacket to put over her dress, but it never did get zipped (maybe she'll ask the other girl for some tips). I guess that's the hard thing about being one of the youngest in your class. Let the peer pressure begin!

9 comments:

jeanine said...

So cute! (And I'm glad that my toddler isn't the only one that still has trouble sleeping through the night--but I think we're getting there!)

Carl said...

We've had sleeping problems of our own since school started. For some reason Adam has been getting in our bed in the middle of the night ever since school started. Hopefully we can get this taken care of soon. London looks cute though and her picking out her clothes reminds me of Annaka.

Anonymous said...

London looks so adorable! I seriously can't believe she is old enough for preschool. Where does the time go? I am starting to feel very old! Good luck with the sleeping thing, like Carl said we still struggle with Adam and Annaka too. With Annaka it's the "Mom can I talk to you? Privately?" But when it is already past her bedtime it is hard for me to want to talk because I feel like she is using it as an excuse. However there are times when you give in and have great talks (like last night when we had "THE TALK" Scary!) and in those cases you just have to listen to your heart and not care what time it is. Help! She is getting too old! But I am glad London is doing better, hopefully it will just continue to improve. Take care.

Rachel said...

she's darling. I can totally relate to being up all night with excitement. That cracks me up that she's all into her fashion. she's cool like her mom =)

Megan said...

Oh that is such a perfect story, and it's only just begun. Amen the sleeping problems. I am now in the same room as all three of my kids. We're at Ian's sister's house and they wouldn't go to sleep, so I brought the lappy in here...we'll see how long this takes. And adding school to the mix makes things much harder. Emma's been having a lot more problems going to sleep and even more problems waking up. Ugh I so sympathize.

Jessica said...

Hello Miranda,
Thanks for posting on my blog. Your family is darling I can't believe that you already have a Kindergardener. That is so fun!! Hopefully she will start sleeping more once the excitement it all wears off. Tell Regan Congrats on his graduation from MBA school. That is so exciting I wish we were just finishing rather than starting the process.

Kent said...

London continues to crack me up every time I see her. Thanks for the stories on your blog.

Kent

STRINGHAM FAMILY said...

I can't believe you have a little grown up in your house. Oh Mandy she is darling. I am glad you cried because the thought makes me cry. She is so cute.

nhsphoto said...

ok, i think it is so hilarious that london wanted to take her sissy with her to school, whereas crew was so happy to declare that raleigh had to stay home. i guess your kids are nice and mine are mean. figures.